Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Tika & Psychometrics

Tika was asking me the other day, "Is there another word for genealogy or family history?" Remembering a talk I heard a while back, I hesitantly told her, "Yes, I think there is; it's called psychometrics." Here's how Wikipedia explains this new word or concept:

Psychometrics is the field of study concerned with the theory and technique of psychological measurement,
which includes the measurement of knowledge, abilities, attitudes, personality traits, and educational 
measurement. The field is primarily concerned with the construction and validation of measurement instruments
such as questionnairestests, and personality assessments.

Tika said, "Huh?"

Being a word person, I do like words, especially new-to-me words. So how does this word apply to genealogy?
Well, wouldn't we like to understand more about our ancestors' knowledge, attitudes, abilities, education and 
personality traits? Is there a way to understand their lives better by just digging into the records they left behind?
Guess it would take an expert in this field to explain it to me. It does sound fascinating, doesn't it?

After explaining all of this to her, Tika said, "Let's talk about something fun!" So here goes:  "What does it mean 
to be "all of a twitter?"  Wanna guess? 

No comments:

Post a Comment