Saturday, December 18, 2010

Winter Living


This rock-covered birdhouse Tika and I made last year from rocks that Handy Man ran through his rock tumbler. Birds do sometimes use it (wrens have) but mainly it is pretty and it is a snow gauge for us. Looking at it causes me to think upon the sod homes of some of our ancestors. How unbearably cold, wet, drafty their abodes must have been..... no wonder sickness and early death was such a presence. This birdhouse is tightly glued and nailed and the rocks provide insulation. This "people house" had nothing much to keep the people warm. Crazy comparison? Maybe; but snow does that to us. We today may say "we love the snow" (and Tika does) but we are blessed to have a warm, dry home.


1 comment:

  1. I love it! I used to ask my kids what they thought it must have been like to hike across the plains when traversing the Hanford site. They would yell, "stop, stop!" But I thought it was interesting to speculate as you have done.

    ReplyDelete