Monday, January 24, 2011

Tika Remembers..... And We Research Together

Today, but 139 years ago, on 24 January 1872, Handy Man's grandfather, Charles Robert Phillips, was born in Georgia. He is one of my most-researched-but-little found ancestors. He was born in Georgia but soon his father migrated to Texas where there was money to pay pensions for Confederate soldiers. He did marry "Lillian" back in Georgia, but was she Lillian Stout? They did have Charles Alexander Phillips in 1906 in Toledo, Ohio......... Chuck always cited that, but I've never found any proof. They did have two more children, Margaret (born in "Mexico?") and James, born in Illinois. I do find Charles Robert and Lillian in the 1900 census in Payne Co, Oklahoma and in 1910 they are in Lake Co, Illinois. By the 1930 census, Lillian is long dead and the family stories kick in revealing a very "colorful" character. How could a "tent and awning salesman" with several "wives" and children not be colorful? He died in 1938 in Seattle and while he was not a Catholic, his funeral and burial (in a potters field) was conducted by the cathedral parish. So many interesting "leads" here and believe me, Tika has suggested to me 100 things to try. I know we'll only fail to find the answers if we fail to keep looking. Wish me luck..... and Tika and I both wish you luck with your tough-problem ancestors.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Donna, I am confused by this statement: "He was born in Georgia but soon his father migrated to Texas where there was money to pay pensions for Confederate soldiers."

    It was my understanding, from reading multiple books and articles on this topic, that each former Confederate state paid a pension to qualifying Confederate veterans and their widows that served THAT state, AND STILL LIVED IN THAT STATE. They did not pay pensions to qualifying Confederate veterans and their widows, who served in OTHER Confederate states during the war. The idea behind it was that the Confederacy, after all, was a confederacy of independent states, each with their own government, and not a centralized government like the United States. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to review, but Georgia, like many southern states had no money to pay pensions. But in this case, Texas was a member of the Confederacy and was unscathed by the war and many migrated there for the pension. I think I am correct; Missouri was another such state paying to those who served and came to live in Missouri. Least that is my understanding. And CRP was born in 1872, and left GA at age 8, so it was years later and seems to me that if GA was going to be able to pay pensions they would have before that.

    ReplyDelete